Getting married in a castle

Many privately owned castles as well as properties in the care of organisations such as English Heritage, Historic Scotland and The National Trust are available for civil wedding ceremonies.

The best way to find out if a castle is licensed for civil weddings is simply to contact them and ask.

To arrange a wedding at a licensed castle, you must first get in touch with the castle to make a provisional booking. You should then contact the register office in the district where the castle is located to ensure that the Registration Officer can attend your wedding.

The main heritage organisations that care for castles usually have staff that deal with wedding enquiries, links to their wedding information can be found below.

English Heritage

Historic Scotland


The National Trust

The National Trust for Scotland