Montgomery Castle is sited on a rocky hill overlooking the town of Montgomery. In 1223 construction of the castle began for the English king Henry III although it was probably Hubert de Burgh, who was given the castle in 1228 who was responsible for the work.
After an unsuccessful attack by Prince Llywelyn ab Iorwerth in 1228 the middle and outer wards were added to the castle.
The castle last saw action during the Civil War and like many other fortifications at the time it was demolished at the end of the war on the order of Parliament.
- On a hill overlooking Montgomery
- Montgomery Castle, Montgomery, Powys, SY15 6QT
- Free, open access at any reasonable time
- For further information visit cadw.wales.gov.uk
View Larger Map