Tolquhon Castle is for the most part a comfortable 16th century mansion with an earlier 15th century tower in one corner. The old tower, known as the Preston Tower, was built by the castle's original owners, the Preston family. In 1420 it passed by marriage to the Forbes family.
William Forbes, the 7th Laird, was responsible for the construction of the rest of the castle. Between 1584 and 1589 he added new ranges around a courtyard, leaving the old tower in one corner. The main three-storey block opposite the ornate gatehouse has vaulted cellars which contained a wine cellar, bakehouse and kitchen, with a large hall and private chambers above. Other ranges contained practical rooms at ground level, such as stores and brewhouses, while above them there was room for a long gallery that ran the entire length of one range.
The 11th Forbes Laird was forcibly removed from the castle in 1718 after refusing to leave following its sale to the Farquhars in 1716. The castle was later used as a farmhouse for a while before finally being abandoned around the end of the 19th century
- On a minor road off the B999, 1 mile north of the junction with the A920
- Tolquhon Castle, Tarves, Ellon, Aberdeenshire, AB41 7LP
- Historic Scotland. Open to public. Entrance fee for non-members.
- For further information visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
View Larger Map