The ruins of the Castle of Old Wick are dramatically located on top of steep cliffs overlooking the sea. The simple four-storey tower is thought to have been built in the late 12th or early 13th century when Caithness was ruled by the Norse Earls of Orkney. This would make it one of the oldest stone keeps in Scotland. The remains of further ranges can be found along the promontory.
The castle has had many owners including the Cheynes and the Sutherland Lord Duffus in the 14th century, and the Oliphants in the 15th century. It was besieged and captured by John Sinclair, Master of Caithness, in 1569 and later bought by the Sinclairs. It was sold to the Campbells of Glenorchy in the 1670s and then to the Dunbars of Hemprigg who held it until 1910.
- 1 mile South of Wick
- Historic Scotland. Open access at any reasonable time
- For further information visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
View Larger Map