Morton Castle

Morton Castle, stands in a very scenic location on a promontory above Morton Loch. The castle is a hall-house, with some additions, that dates back to the late 14th century. There would have been kitchens and storage space on the ground floor with a hall above and private rooms in a round corner tower. It was built by the Earls of March on the site of an earlier castle that was destroyed in 1375. In 1459 it was acquired by the Douglases, later made Earls of Morton. It remained occupied until about 1715

From the A702 northeast of Carronbridge take the 2nd turning on the right towards East Morton. Follow the minor road across the next crossroads (although it will seem to be more of a left turn) and then take the track on the right when the road forks at Morton Mains. The castle is a short distance up this track in a field on the left
Morton Castle, near Carronbridge, Thornhill, Dumfries & Galloway
Historic Scotland. Free open access at any reasonable time
For further information visit

View Larger Map

Return to top of page