The main tower at Delgatie Castle largely dates from 1570, although it contains parts of an earlier structure. The castle originally belonged to the Comyn Earls of Buchan but it was forfeited after the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 and passed to the Hay family.
Later extensions have changed the appearance of the castle but it still has some interesting features worth viewing inside . A wide turnpike stair in the thickness of the wall gives access to the floors above, some with rooms that still feature their original 16th century painted ceilings.
The castle is still occupied and is also the Clan Hay Centre. Self catering accommodation is available both around the estate and within the castle
- On minor roads east of Turriff on A947 and west of B9170
- Delgatie Castle, Delgaty, Turriff, Aberdeenshire, AB53 5TD
- Privately owned. Open to public. Entrance fee.
- For further information visit www.delgatiecastle.com
View Larger Map