William the Conqueror built the first castle at Warwick, in 1068. Over the years the castle was gradually rebuilt in stone, and by the late 14th century Thomas de Beauchamp had finished an extensive building programme that transformed the defences of the castle, adding the huge gatehouse and barbican and two massive towers that still dominate the castle today. Later as the military importance of the castle declined, the main living quarters were converted into a palatial residence.
The castle was home to the Earls of Warwick until 1978 when it was bought by the Tussaud's Group. The castle has since been extensively restored, and developed into a major tourist attraction.
- Clearly signposted in Warwick, less than 2 miles from junction 15 of the M40
- Warwick Castle, Castle Hill, Warwick, CV34 4QU
- Merlin Entertainments Group. Open to the public. Admission fee
- For further information visit www.warwick-castle.com
View Larger Map