Earthworks are all that remain of this Norman motte and bailey castle, built around 1086 for Drogo de la Beauvriére.
The castle was an unusual design. The motte was surrounded by a ditch, and was separated from its bailey by a marsh, spanned by a wooden causeway. The lake around the castle contained eels, which were a common source of food at the time. The castle was destroyed in 1221 on the orders of Henry III when Count William de Forz II rebelled against the king.
- 8 miles south of Bridlington, west of Skipsea village
- Beeford Road, Skipsea, Bridlington, East Yorkshire
- English Heritage. Free, open access at any reasonable time
- For further information visit www.english-heritage.org.uk
View Larger Map