Corfe Castle
Corfe Castle Corfe Castle Corfe Castle Corfe Castle Corfe Castle Corfe Castle Corfe Castle Corfe Castle Corfe Castle

Standing on top of a hill, guarding a gap in the chalk ridge of the Purbeck hills, the shattered remains of Corfe Castle still manage to convey an impression of the power and size of what was once one of the strongest and most powerful castles in the country.

Building first began in the 1080's and over the centuries several kings contributed to its development, adding a large keep, defensive ditches and curtain walls around the inner and outer baileys. The castle was a favourite of King John (1167-1216), who made many improvements, including the building of the 'gloriette', which provided more lavish accommodation than the keep could provide.

The castle came under attack on at least four occasions, most notably during the Civil Wars when in 1643, Lady Bankes successfully led a defence of the castle against Parliamentary forces. In 1646 a second siege was brought to an end by an act of treachery that allowed Parliamentary troops disguised as Royalist reinforcements to enter the castle. The slighting that Parliament ordered be carried out at Corfe was far more severe than at most other castles, with the walls and buildings extensively demolished.

In the village of Corfe Castle on A351 Wareham-Swanage road
Corfe Castle, The Square, Corfe Castle, Wareham, BH20 5EZ
The National Trust. Open to the public. Admission fee.
For further information visit

View Larger Map

Return to top of page