Clifford's Tower is all that remains of York Castle. The motte was raised in 1069-70, and was originally topped with a wooden tower. In 1190, this tower was burned down during anti-Jewish riots, killing many Jews who were inside. The height of the motte was increased and the tower was rebuilt in stone, but this was blown down by a severe gale in 1228.
In 1245, Henry III ordered the rebuilding of the tower, and over the next 25 years a curtain wall with several towers and two gates was built around the bailey, and a new tower was constructed on the motte. This quatrefoil tower (like four circles joined together) was designed by Henry of Reims, and was based on French designs. Today the tower is just a shell, but you can climb to the top for a good view of York.
- In Tower Street in the centre of York
- Clifford's Tower, Tower Street, York, North Yorkshire YO1 9SA
- English Heritage. Open to the public. Admission fee
- For further information visit www.english-heritage.org.uk
View Larger Map