Chillingham Castle is being restored by its present owners as a family home open to the public. The castle is famous for its ghosts and a herd of wild white cattle that roam the neighbouring park.
In 1344, Sir Thomas Grey was granted a licence to crenellate his property at Chillingham. He built a quadrangular castle with four corner towers and an inner courtyard. A curtain wall was built around the castle grounds, but this has now mostly disappeared, although some remains can be seen at the end of the Italian Garden. The castle came under attack in 1536 during the 'Pilgrimage of Grace' rebellion. Sir Robert Ellerker successfully defended the castle, but had to repair damage caused by cannon-fire.
In 1590 alterations were made to the castle, which included moving the main entrance to its present position, in preparation for the royal visit of King James VI of Scotland on his journey south to his English coronation. Further rebuilding was carried out during the 18th and 19th century, turning the castle into a comfortable stately home with landscaped gardens.
- 7 miles East of Wooler. On minor roads off B6348. Signposted from A1 and A697
- Chillingham Castle, Chillingham, Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66 5NJ
- Privately owned. Open to the public. Admission fee
- For further information visit www.chillingham-castle.com
View Larger Map