Weobley Castle is a fortified manor house, where domestic comfort took priority over defensive capabilities. It overlooks the Llanrhidian marsh and the Llwchwr estuary.
The castle consists of four ranges around a small courtyard, with the main rooms at first-floor level. The south range is largely ruined and the buildings on the south-east where probably never even completed. The castle was built by the de la Bere family during the 1300's, with David de la Bere the probable founder early in the century.
The castle is entered on the west through a simple archway high enough for a mounted rider to pass through and closed by large wooden doors, which, without the added protection of a portcullis, would have offered little resistance during an attack. On the south-west are the ruins of a freestanding tower that is possibly the oldest part of the castle. Beside this are the ruins of the southern range that once contained a chapel. The most complete remains are to the north and west which contain the main accommodation, the solar and a hall and kitchen. The entrance to the hall is through a porch added by a later owner of the castle, Sir Rhys ap Thomas, in about 1500.
- Off the Llanrhidian - Cheriton road, 7 miles west of Gowerton, on the Gower Peninsula
- Weobley Castle, Leason, Llanrhidian, Swansea SA3 1HB
- CADW. Open to the public. Admission fee
- For further information visit cadw.wales.gov.uk
View Larger Map