Craigievar Castle has a fairytale appearance with a collection of turrets, gables, chimney stacks and corbelling all crammed onto the top of a seven-storey L-plan tower house.
The castle was built by William Forbes in the 1620's. It served more as a stately home than a defensive structure, although it had formidable doors and an iron yett (gate) and was surrounded by a walled courtyard that had a round tower at each corner, one of which still remains. The castle was luxuriously appointed and its interiors have survived remarkably unchanged and include some fine plaster ceilings. The castle remained in continuous occupation until it was acquired by the National Trust for Scotland in 1963.
- Near Kintocher on the A980 six miles south of Alford
- Craigievar Castle, Alford, Aberdeenshire, AB33 8JF
- The National Trust for Scotland. Open to public. Entrance fee for non-members.
- For further information visit www.nts.org.uk
View Larger Map