Blackness Castle stands beside the Firth of Forth. It is known as ‘the ship that never sailed’ due to its appearance, from the seaward side, as a stone ship.
The castle was built in the 1440's by one of Scotland’s most powerful families, the Crichtons. At this time, Blackness was the main port serving the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow, one of the main residences of the Scottish monarch. In 1453 it became a royal castle, serving as a garrison fortress and state prison.
The formiddable defences endured until 1650 when Oliver Cromwell’s heavy guns caused substantial damage, forcing the garrison to surrender. The castle was repaired and once more served as a prison, and from the later 19th century as an ammunition depot, before finally being decommissioned after the First World War.
- The castle is located at Blackness, 6km north east of Linlithgow on the Firth of Forth off the A904.
- Blackness Castle, Blackness, Linlithgow, EH49 7NH
- Historic Scotland. Open to the public. Admission fee.
- For further information visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
View Larger Map