|The Holloway, Tamworth, Staffordshire B79 7NA||Tamworth Borough Council|
Tamworth Castle is sited in the town centre Pleasure Grounds overlooking the confluence of the rivers Tame and Anker. The Normans built the original motte and bailey castle some time between 1070 - 1080. In the 1180's a polygonal shell keep was built upon the motte.
The castle has had many owners and was altered many times over the centuries. The oldest surviving section within the Shell-Keep, is the north wing with its 13th century arched doorway, and there are examples of different periods of building through to the late 18th century. The most impressive room is the Great Hall with its oak timbered roof that dates from the mid 15th century.
The castle contains a museum that recreates how parts of the castle would have been used during different periods of its history. The castle is reputed to be haunted and one room even has a re-enactment of a haunting.