The ruins of a Norman keep are all that remain from what was once a much larger castle. The castle was built by Baldwin de Bethune in the mid 12th century and remained occupied for at least 150 years.
The castle was confiscated by the Crown in 1265 following a rebellion and conferred to Henry III's half-brother, William de Valence, as a reward for his support. The village of Sutton, or 'south town', became known as Sutton Valence.
- 5 miles SE of Maidstone; in Sutton Valence village, on A274
- Sutton Valence Castle, Rectory Lane, Sutton Valence, Kent
- English Heritage. Open to the public. Free access at any reasonable time.
- For further information visit www.english-heritage.org.uk
View Larger Map